Friday, February 8, 2013

Iain Banks - The Wasp Factory

Hello.  Hope everyone is enjoying or enjoyed or will enjoy VALIS as much as I did!  Don't forget, we'll meet at 5:15 PM instead of 7 PM this Sunday, February 10th.

The pick for next month is The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks.  Word on the street: it's pretty dark and intense.  Hopefully it proves to be an entertaining/engaging selection.  We'll meet on March 10th at 7 PM.  Don't forget to move your clock hands forward and give me a hug for being on planet earth for 27 years.
 
**Update: I started reading The Wasp Factory and am enjoying it but felt I should post a disclaimer: the book contains fairly graphic depictions of animal and human cruelty.**


 

Meet Frank Cauldhame. Just sixteen, and unconventional to say the least:
Two years after I killed Blyth I murdered my young brother Paul, for quite different and more fundamental reasons than I'd disposed of Blyth, and then a year after that I did for my young cousin Esmerelda, more or less on a whim.
That's my score to date. Three. I haven't killed anybody for years, and don't intend to ever again.
It was just a stage I was going through.
--from http://www.booksinc.net/book/9780684853154

No comments:

Post a Comment